OBX Connection Home > OBX Connection Forum > Any Mushroom aficionado out there ?
Any Mushroom aficionado out there ?

Any Mushroom aficionado out there ?




Came across this yesterday when cutting the grass j it was growing under a dead plumb tree.

No intention of eating it just wonder what it is and if in can be eaten,

I know the danger of eating wild mushrooms




OBX Connection Sponsored Links




RE: Any Mushroom aficionado out there ?




Rick - I don't know what they are but I do know that mushroom ID can be difficult even for mushroom hunters. Coincidentally, I was out with my dogs this morning at the back of my property, where there a dozen or so 70' tall pine trees (antenna supports for us hams) and there were dozens of huge mushrooms back there . Some were umbrella shaped 3-8 inches across and some looked like baseballs on a stem. I'll bag them up when I get home this evening and toss them in the trash so the doggies won't be tempted to eat any. They seem to pop up in the spring and fall.

Before we moved to this house I found a bunch of what looked like morels one spring near an apple orchard behind my property. Those are pretty unique looking but there is actually a mushroom that looks a lot like a morel but is poisonous. Mine were the real deal and diced and sauteed in butter were really tasty. I would't even think about eating any other mushroom I found around here - Ron


RE: Any Mushroom aficionado out there ?




I believe it is what is called a dead tree root fungi. This link may help you ID it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dead+tree+root+fungus&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=byheunoUFjJctM%253A%252CjSKqHao8FkaaRM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kRj1o_RvaWSTv0UmUXCzvEN3ZbJcA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjHlcPsnoPeAhWsuVkKHQIfDUkQ9QEwBXoECAMQDg#imgrc=VsIJATr9lvvyxM: