Date Posted: 6/27/2011
1 pound (16 oz) of jumbo lump crab meat (Phillips in can acceptable in a pinch)
1 brown egg
2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
3 scallions, chopped fine, green parts only
2 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped fine
Panko bread crumbs (use ½ cup in Step 2)
Sea salt to taste
Fresh ground pepper to taste
Hot sauce to taste
Pepper flakes to taste
1. Beat the egg in a bowl.
2. Add the mayonnaise, mustard, scallions, parsley, Panko and seasonings to the egg and mix well.
3. Add the crab and gently mix together, taking care not to break up the crab.
4. Gently form 4-6 patties by hand. Can use a measuring cup to make equal portions.
5. Gently coat the outside of the patties with Panko.
6. Cover the patties and place in refrigerator for 4 to 5 hours. This will help to keep them from falling apart when cooking.
7. Heat iron skillet or griddle coated with canola oil to medium high temp.
8. Sautee the patties around 2-4 minutes a side or until golden brown. Add a little butter about half way through cooking each side to enhance the browning. Try to limit turning.
9. Remove and drain on paper towel.
10. Serve with lemon wedges.
Recipe serves 4 as an entrée.
NOTE: If you do not use jumbo lump it is more difficult to keep cakes together during cooking, especially when you have to turn them.
After having some wonderful crab cakes at the Kill Devil Grill we decided to try our own. After a few trials and errors we feel we have come up with a great crab cake.....no extra stuff to mess up the taste of the crab.