Let me add to the Charter/Headboat scene, I'll leave Surf and Pier Fishing to someone else. As was already said, you can investigate getting on a Make-up Charter. It's a way to get out Ocean Fishing without Chartering the boat yourself. I have no clue what the Virus will hold for next June, but this year, we refused to do Make-up charters on my boat. A Make-up is where you split the cost of a trip with 5 other people. Outer Banks Charter boats are 6 passenger boats so the price is based on a 6 way split. All the Major Marinas offer Make -up Trips. You are staying in Kitty Hawk so you have a Half Hour ride to any boats. So many people don't know there are no Ocean going Charters from Corolla all the way to Nags Head, The three Marinas I would try are OBX Marina (Wanchese) Oregon Inlet Fishing Center (SNH- Bodie Island) and Pirates Cove (Manteo). Here's some facts that you are anybody can use regarding Make-ups.
1. Make-ups do not come together everyday. It's all based on availability of people wanting to go and their desired dates.
2. You have no choice of Boat. No Boat specifically reserves dates for Make-ups. It's all filling in of open dates. Marinas select your boat.
3. Make-up trips are generally not guaranteed in advance. Some Marinas will take a deposit but will refund it if they can not put together a trip in your desired time frame.
4. The Total Catch is split among the party equally. So on a slow day, even though you never caught a fish you go home with something. Occasionally different arrangements are made between the party. Likewise everybody splits the Fish Cleaning cost.
5. The party is expected to provide a gratuity to the mate of 15 to 20% of trip price which is again split evenly.
6. Most popular and also most expensive is an Offshore (Gulfstream) Charter. Half Days and Specialty Trips such as a Wreck Trip, Cobia and Shark Fishing are harder to come by.
7. Lastly cost. An Offshore trip can run in excess of $450 per person including Tip and Fish Cleaning.
Headboats in the Oregon Inlet area only fish Half Days in the Sound. There is a Head Boat at each of the Marinas that I mentioned above. They fish everyday at about $60 per person. Fish on a big boat with up to 50 people for small Sound bottom fish. Great trip for Children, Beginners and those seeking a nice Boat Ride.